Sunday, September 9, 2018

Shon Faye

image via @shonfaye on Twitter.
 
Shon Faye is a UK activist for LGBTQ+ rights, working with organisations such as Stonewall, as well as writing for The Guardian newspaper and producing online content via "Shon This Way". I have followed her campaign via social media since 2017, and feel that she is noteworthy because she uses her voice to speak out on a multitude of social issues. 

 Shon herself is transgender, originally born male, now female, and openly talks about the problems many trans people face before, during and after transitioning; recently she underwent surgery on her hairline and spoke on her Instagram about being misgendered multiple times by nurses and doctors during the procedure, despite her medical documents listing her as female. I think it's important that she discusses these issues, even though they may seem minor or insignificant in the grand scheme of problems trans people experience. Cisgender people (i.e. people who identify as the gender they were assigned at birth), myself included, may not think that something as simple as the language we use can be harmful, but Shon uses her social media to create awareness of such issues. 


As of last week (September 4th) Shon posted on Twitter about having to remove transphobic stickers she found in a female public toilet, stating "Women's sex based rights are not for penises". She called it an "intimidation tactic", saying that the stickers were intended to push trans women out of public spaces, and called for anyone seeing these stickers to remove them: 


"It’s really important to openly resist, to say that this isn’t something that’s acceptable and to be defiant about that.”

 Of course, as well as being editor-at-large for Dazed magazine, and a frequent contributor to UK newspaper The Guardian, she has campaigned for the rights for trans women and inclusive feminism. In May she faced a backlash when Amnesty International chose her to present at their UK "Women Making History" festival, and a petition with over 2000 signatures asked for her to be removed. Shon went on to present the event despite the petition and transphobic media coverage, with her speech asking for inclusion and support for trans women in women's human rights work: 
“Instead of answering my critics I pay tribute to those women – because as long as trans women in the UK and around the world are being beaten, being sectioned, being brutalised, being raped, being killed or surviving, thriving, living, laughing, loving, and dying as women are then it is right and just that we are able to access the support and solidarity of feminist and women’s’ community."
Shon has also talked openly about navigating the dating scene as a trans woman, often with a great sense of humour:
via @shon.faye on Instagram.

 However, her Twitter anecdotes and screenshots of dating app conversations often point out the same issue time and time again: many straight/cisgender people see trans women as something to experiment with, and fetishizie their identities, rather than viewing them as a real person. As part of the Tate Britain exhibition "Queer British Art 1861–1967", Shon appeared in a video on the Random Acts YouTube channel, reflecting on her experiences as a queer person in a world seeking to shut her out:
"I'm not a mistress, I'm not your mistress, I am my own mistress and there is no master." 



I would argue that Shon Faye has started a well needed conversation about the existence of trans people; currently the UK is experiencing a moral panic over the existence of people who identify outside the gender binary. The media is full of columnists, TV presenters and newsreaders discussing "the gender debate", something I would say is harmful and unnecessary, what is there to "debate" about the existence of trans people, nonbinary people, or anyone who isn't cisgender? 

Rather than argue about whether these people should become socially acceptable (spoiler alert: they have always existed, always will do, and there's nothing to debate about that), Shon instead talks about how we as a society can support and ally trans people. She argues that instead of arguing with transphobes on social media, we should work to be more inclusive of trans people in public spaces, including the creative arts, as this is more effective to the fight for trans rights, and I agree. One way of doing this is to contribute to the consultation for reforming the Gender Recognition Act in the UK, a move that will allow legal recognition and medial treatment more inclusive and accessible for trans people.

Sources and further information: 









5 comments:

  1. First I'd like to say that I love the formatting of your blog - it looks wonderful and is designed in a way that I'm jealous I didn't think of myself. As for Shon Faye, I went straight to Instagram to follow her so I can learn more myself. I spent this past summer interning with a Progressive campaign effort where I learned a tremendous amount about gender issues, and I've been trying to continue to conversation, trying to continue learning as much as I can, and I'm excited that the Woman Warrior you chose is a transgender woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the comment! And yes I agree, I'm very much in the same position of wanting to learn more about gender issues, which is why I followed Shon in the first place. She has made me aware of how I as a cisgender person can be acting in a toxic way without realising (one example being the gendered language I use, as I mentioned in the article). I'm glad she's gained another follower! :)

      Delete
  2. Shon Faye represents the front lines of activism, addressing the prejudice and discrimination that affects trans individuals. From an American's point-of-view, this helps affirm the universal nature of hate to this part of the LGBTQA community. I sympathize that as the United States continues to struggle to achieve the semblance of equality for all peoples, countries that are perceived as far ahead of us still face backlash. It is outspoken individuals, like Shon, who's voice informs and rallies a collective effort for change for the better. Lastly, I appreciate the direct call-to-action you take to include a link on how to contribute in the UK's fight to reform the Gender Recognition Act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I included the link because, like many other allies of the trans community, I want to be pro active and make change but wonder what I, as one person can do. Shon has posted the petition link alongside many other campaigns on her social media and I think that is important, because then people are aware of the actions they can take to actually make the world better for trans/non binary people. :)

      Delete
  3. I like that you bring up the concept of transgender people in public spaces, this in itself is a very taboo concept which is why we do not see a lot of representation of the transgender community. Shon Faye is such a staunch activist and so important to the trans community but is not known to everyone, and I like that you brought her to light in this blog. I also agree that the "call to action" as Chris stated above. Great job!

    ReplyDelete